Install an optical drive
Use this information to install an optical drive.
Before installing an optical drive:
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install an optical drive, complete the following steps:
- Remove the front door (see Remove the front door).
- Remove the front bezel (see Remove the front bezel).
- If necessary, press the tabs on the side of the plastic bay filler of the optical drive bay and push the plastic bay filler as shown to remove it. Figure 1. Plastic bay filler removal in the optical drive bay
- If necessary, insert two of your fingers into the holes in the EMI shield and carefully pull the EMI shield out of the chassis.Figure 2. EMI shield removal in optical drive bay
- Insert the optical drive into the optical drive bay and slide it in until it is obstructed.
- Gently pull the metal tab on the slide of the chassis and slide the optical drive slightly. Release the tab and keep sliding the optical drive until it snaps into position. Figure 3. Optical drive installation
- Connect the power cable and the signal cable to the rear of the optical drive. See Cable routing: optical drive.
- Save the removed EMI-protective shield from the chassis and the plastic bay filler from the front bezel in case you later remove the drive and need the shields to cover the drive bay.
After installing the optical drive:
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement