Remove a simple-swap drive
Use this information to remove a simple-swap drive.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Ensure that you have back up data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array.
Before you make changes to drives, RAID adapters, drive backplates, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on the drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
- Use the key to unlock the server cover; then, open the security door.
- Locate the simple-swap drive you want to remove.
- Remove the simple-swap drive.Figure 1. Opening the tray handle of a 3.5-inch simple-swap drive
- Use a screwdriver to turn the handle lock to the unlocked position.
- The tray handle opens automatically.
- Pull the tray handle and carefully slide the simple-swap drive out of the drive bay.
After you finish
Install a new drive or drive filler into the vacant drive bay. See Install a simple-swap drive.NoteTo ensure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than two minutes without either a drive or a drive filler installed in each bay.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.