Remove a 2.5-inch drive from a 3.5-inch drive bay
Use this information to remove 2.5-inch drive from a 3.5-inch drive bay.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Use the key to unlock the server cover; then, open the security door.
- Locate the drive you want to remove.
- Remove the 3.5-inch drive tray with the 2.5-inch drive. See Remove a simple-swap drive or Remove a hot-swap drive.
- Remove the five screws that secure the 2.5-inch drive and the drive adapter; then, remove the 2.5-inch drive and the drive adapter from the tray.Figure 1. Removing the screws that secure the 2.5-inch drive and the drive adapter
- Remove the two screws that secure the 2.5-inch drive; then, lift the drive up to remove it from the drive adapter.Figure 2. 2.5-inch drive removal from the drive adapter
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.