Install a compute node in the enclosure
Use this procedure to install a compute node in the D2 Enclosure.
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Complete the following steps to install the compute node in a enclosure.
- Select the node bay. NoteIf you are reinstalling a compute node that you removed, you must install it in the same node bay from which you removed it. Some compute node configuration information and update options are established according to node bay number. Reinstalling a compute node into a different node bay can have unintended consequences. If you reinstall the compute node into a different node bay, you might have to reconfigure the compute node.
- Make sure that the front handle on the compute node is in the fully open position.
- Slide the compute node into the node bay until it stops.
- Rotate the compute node handle to the fully closed position until the handle latch clicks.NoteThe time required for a compute node to initialize varies by system configuration. The power LED flashes rapidly; the power button on the compute node will not respond until the power LED flashes slowly, indicating that the initialization process is complete.
Check the power LED to make sure it transitions between fast blink and slow blink to indicate the node is ready to be powered on; then, power on the node.
Make sure that the power LED on the compute node control panel is lit continuously, indicating that the compute node is receiving power and is turned on.
If you have other compute nodes to install, do so now.
If this is the initial installation of the node in the enclosure, you must configure the node through the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager and install the node operating system. See OS Installation with Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager for more details.
If compute node access over local console is not available:
Access Lenovo XClarity Controller web interface (see Accessing the XClarity Controller web interface).
Set up Lenovo XClarity Controller network connection through Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager (see Setting up the XClarity Controller network connection through the XClarity Provisioning Manager).
Log in to Lenovo XClarity Controller (see Logging in to the XClarity Controller).
If you have changed the configuration of the compute node or if you are installing a different compute node from the one that you removed, you must configure the compute node through the Setup utility, and you might have to install the compute node operating system, see System configuration for more details.
If you are installing a different compute node from the one that you removed, update the machine type and serial number with new vital product data (VPD). Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to update the machine type and serial number. See Update the machine type and serial number.
You can place identifying information on the pull out label tab that are accessible from the front of the node.