Remove a memory module
Use this information to remove a memory module.
About this task
- Turn off the corresponding DWC tray that you are going to perform the task on.NoteIf Shared I/O adapters are installed, power off the auxiliary node (node 1/3/5/7/9/11) first, and then power off the primary node (node 2/4/6/8/10/12).
- Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.NoteUse extra forces to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. In addition to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory-module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Carefully use the memory module tool to press the retaining clips outward on each end of the memory module connector.Figure 2. Memory module removalAttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module connectors, open and close the clips gently.
- Carefully remove the memory module.Figure 3. Memory module removal
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.