Install the 7mm drive backplanes
Use this information to install the 7mm drive backplanes.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new backplane to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new backplane out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane at the bottom.Figure 1. 7mm drive backplane installation (bottom)
- Align the pin on the cage and slightly slide the backplane into the cage until it is fully seated.
- Install the screw as shown.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane on the top.Figure 2. 7mm drive backplane installation (top)
- Put the backplane down on the cage as shown.
- Install the two screws to secure the backplane in place
- Connect the cables from the backplanes to the system board and riser slot. See 7mm drive backplane cable routing (power & signal).
After you finish
Install the 7mm drive cage assembly on the rear chassis. See Install the rear hot-swap drive assembly
Reinstall all the drives and fillers (if any) into the drive bays.