Install the serial port module
Use this information to install the serial port module.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the system fan to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the system fan out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Use a 5 mm wrench to install the serial port cable into the bracket.Figure 1. Serial port module installation
- Remove the needed riser bracket from the system board. See Remove a riser assembly.
- Install the serial port assembly to the riser bracket.
- Install the riser assembly back to the server. See Install a PCIe adapter and riser assembly.
- Connect the cable of the serial port module to the serial-port-module connector on the system board. For the location of the serial-port-module connector, refer to System board.
For Linux operating system:
Open the ipmitool and enter the following command to disable the Serial over LAN (SOL) feature:
-I lanplus -H IP -U USERID -P PASSW0RD sol deactivate
For Microsoft Windows operating system:
Open the ipmitool and enter the following command to disable the SOL feature:
-I lanplus -H IP -U USERID -P PASSW0RD
Open Windows PowerShell and enter the following command to disable the Emergency Management Services (EMS) feature:
Bcdedit /ems no
Restart the server to ensure that the EMS setting takes effect.