Install the 3.5-inch rear drive backplane
Use this information to install the 3.5-inch 2-bay or 4-bay rear drive backplane.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new backplane to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new backplane out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Connect cables to the backplane. See Internal cable routing.
- Install the drive backplane.Figure 1. Installing the 2 x 3.5-inch rear drive backplaneFigure 2. Installing the 4 x 3.5-inch rear drive backplane
- Align the bottom of the backplane with the studs at the bottom of the drive cage.
- Lower the backplane into the drive cage so that the holes in the backplane pass through the pins on the drive cage, and press the backplane into position.
After you finish
Install the drive cage onto the chassis. See Install the 3.5-inch rear drive cage.