Remove a GPU adapter
Use this information to remove a GPU adapter.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Depending on the specific type, your GPU adapter might look different from the illustration in this topic.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- (Optional) If you are removing a GPU adapter on riser 3 assembly, you might need to disconnect cables from the system board first.Note
Figure 1. Disconnecting cables from the system board
If you need to disconnect cables from the system board, disengage all latches or release tabs on cable connectors first. Failing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board.
The connectors on your system board might look different from those in the illustration, but the removal procedure is the same.
Press the release tab to release the connector.
Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
- Remove the riser assembly that has the GPU adapter installed from the system board. NoteThe following uses riser 1 assembly as an example for illustration. The procedure is similar for the other riser assemblies.Figure 2. Removing the riser assembly
- Loosen the screw that secures the riser assembly.
- Open the blue latch on the GPU air baffle.
- Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it straight up and off the chassis.
- Disconnect the power cable from the GPU adapter.
- Remove the GPU adapter from the riser bracket.Figure 3. Removing the GPU adapter
- Rotate the GPU adapter retention latch to the open position.
- Grasp the GPU adapter by its edges and carefully pull it out of the PCIe slot.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the defective component, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.