Install a GPU adapter
Use this information to install a GPU adapter.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
GPU adapters are supported on some server models with requirements. See Thermal rules.
All installed GPU adapters must be identical.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Locate the appropriate PCIe slot for the GPU adapter. See PCIe slots and PCIe adapters
- Install the GPU adapter into the PCIe slot on the riser card. Figure 1. Installing the GPU adapter
- Open the blue latch on the riser cage.
- Align the GPU adapter with the PCIe slot on the riser card. Then, carefully press the GPU adapter straight into the slot until it is securely seated.
- Close the blue latch.
- Connect the GPU power cable to the GPU power connector on the riser card or system board. See GPUs.
- Install the GPU air baffle. NoteIf a single-wide 150W GPU adapter (FHFL) is to be installed but the adjacent slot will be left empty or installed with a half-length adapter, install an add-on air baffle on the GPU air baffle first.Figure 2. Installing an add-on air baffle
- Install the riser assembly. Figure 3. Installing the riser assembly
- Align the riser card with the PCIe slot on the system board. Carefully press the riser card straight into the slot until it is securely seated.
- If you are installing a full-length GPU adapter, open the blue latch on the GPU air baffle and fix the end of the GPU adapter. Then, close the blue latch.
- Tighten the screw to fix the riser cage.
- Connect the GPU power cable to the power connector on the GPU adapter, and route the power cable properly. See GPUs.
- (Optional) If a certain slot is not installed with a GPU adapter, install a filler on the GPU air baffle.Figure 4. Installing the GPU air baffle filler
After you finish
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.