Remove the 7mm drive cage
Use this information to remove the 7mm drive cage.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
If one or more NVMe solid-state drives are to be removed, it is recommended to disable them beforehand via the operating system.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove all the installed drives and fillers (if any) from the drive bays. See Remove a hot-swap drive.
- Record the cable connections for 7mm drives and then disconnect all cables from the backplanes.
- Remove the riser assembly with 7mm drive cage from the rear chassis. Figure 1. Riser assembly removal
- Loosen the screw of the riser cage.
- Carefully lift the riser assembly up from the chassis.
- Remove the 7mm drive cage from the riser assembly. Figure 2. 7mm drive cage removal
- Remove the two screws.
- Slightly and horizontally slide the cage out of the riser cage.
- (Optional) Remove the 7mm drive cage securing clip from the riser cage.Figure 3. 7mm drive cage securing clip removal