Install a PCIe adapter and riser 1/2 assembly
Use this information to install a PCIe adapter and riser 1/2 assembly.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new riser card to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new riser card out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install a riser card in a riser cage.Figure 1. Riser card installation (three-slot riser bracket)Figure 2. Riser card installation (one-slot or two-slot riser bracket)
Align the holes in the riser card with the mounting studs on the bracket. Install the riser card to the bracket in the direction as shown.
Install the two screws to secure the riser card to the bracket.
- Install PCIe adapters. For information about supported PCIe adapters and PCIe slots, see PCIe slots and configurations.NoteCarefully handle the PCIe adapter by its edges.Figure 3. PCIe adapter installation
Align the PCIe adapter with the PCIe slot on the riser card. Carefully press the PCIe adapter straight into the slot until it is securely seated and its bracket also is secured.
Rotate the PCIe adapter retention latch to the closed position.
- Check the rearwall matrix and decide which rearwall brackets need to be installed or removed for installing your riser assemblies. See Rearwall bracket replacement
- Install a riser 1 assembly or riser 2 assembly. The illustration shows installing the riser 1 assemblies. The procedure is the same for installing riser 2 assemblies.Figure 4. Riser 1/2 assembly installation (three-slot riser bracket)Figure 5. Riser 1/2 assembly installation (one-slot riser bracket)
Align the riser adapter in the riser cage with the riser slot on the system board. Carefully press the riser card straight into the slot until it is securely seated.
(Optional) If there is one screw on the riser cage, tighten the screw.
After you finish
Refer to Internal cable routing to connect any cables to the PCIe adapters.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.