Remove the 2.5-inch middle drive cage
Use this information to remove the middle 2.5-inch drive cage.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the system fan cage for easier operation. See Remove the system fan cage.
- Disconnect cables from the middle drive cage.
- Remove all the installed drives and fillers (if any) from the drive bays. See Remove a hot-swap drive.
- Rotate the handle to open it. Then remove the drives from the drive cage.Figure 1. Opening the drive cage handle and removing the drives
- Pull and twist plunger pins and carefully lift the middle rear cage upward to release it from the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the middle 2.5-inch drive cage
- Press the latch as shown and close the handle.Figure 3. Closing the handle for the middle 2.5-inch drive cage
After you finishIf you are instructed to return the old drive cage, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.