Install the M.2 boot adapter
Follow instructions in this section to install the M.2 boot adapter.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
When an M.2 adapter is installed, with software RAID, the system supports one of the following storage configuration:
Up to six 3.5-inch simple-swap SATA drives
Up to four 3.5-inch hot-swap SATA drives
When an M.2 adapter is installed, 2.5-inch hot-swap SATA drives and optical/tape drives are not supported.
- Remove the screw on the back of the PCIe adapter.Figure 1. Removing the screw on the back of the PCIe adapter
- Secure the M.2 boot adapter to the PCIe adapter.
Figure 2. Securing the M.2 boot adapter to the PCIe adapter
- Align the M.2 boot adapter with the T-head pin on the PCIe adapter as illustrated, and slide it into place.
- Tighten the captive screw on the M.2 boot adapter.
- Tighten the screw from Step 1 to secure the M.2 boot adapter to the PCIe adapter.
- Install the power and signal cables to the M.2 boot adapter.
Figure 3. Installing the M.2 power and signal cables
- Connect all the cables.
- Fasten the screw that secures the power and signal cables to the M.2 boot adapter.
- Install the PCIe adapter into the chassis.
Figure 4. Installing the PCIe adapter into the chassis
- Open the retaining clip and position the PCIe adapter over the PCIe slot; then, carefully press the adapter straight down into the slot.NoteThe M.2 boot adapter can only be installed in
PCIe slot 4.
- Close the retaining clip to secure the PCIe adapter in place.
- Open the retaining clip and position the PCIe adapter over the PCIe slot; then, carefully press the adapter straight down into the slot.
- Connect the power cable and the signal cable to the system board. See M.2 adapter.
After this task is completed
Reinstall the M.2 drives to the M.2 boot adapter. See Install an M.2 drive.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.