Remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch hot-swap drive backplane
Use this information to remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch hot-swap drive backplane.
Before removing the hot-swap drive backplane:
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).
To remove the hot-swap drive backplane, complete the following steps:
- Remove the front door (see Remove the front door).
- Remove the front bezel (see Remove the front bezel).
- Remove all installed drives and drive bay fillers (if any) from the drive cage. See Remove a hot-swap drive or Removing a 2.5-inch SSD from a 3.5-inch drive bay.
- Remove the system fan. (see Remove the front system fan).
- Disconnect all the cables from the backplane.
- Lift the release latch and slide the drive cage out of the chassis.Figure 1. Drive cage removal
- Open the plunger that secures the backplane
- Slightly lift the backplane to disengage it from the drive cage; then, remove the backplane from the drive cage.Figure 2. Hot-swap drive backplane removal
After removing the hot-swap drive backplane:
If you are instructed to return the defective component, please package the part to prevent any shipping damage. Reuse the packaging the new part arrived in and follow all packaging instructions.