Remove a hot-swap drive
Use this information to remove a hot-swap drive.
Before removing a hot-swap drive:
- Ensure that you have back up data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array.
Before you make changes to drives, RAID adapters, drive backplanes, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on the drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
If the server is installed in a rack, extend the server from the rack.
- Use the front door key to unlock the front door (available on some models), and then open the front door.
To remove a hot-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- Locate the drive you want to remove and press the release button 1 to open the handle of the drive.Figure 1. Opening the tray handle
- Grasp the tray handle and carefully slide the drive out of the drive bay.
- Remove the four screws; then, remove the drive from the drive tray.Figure 2. Hot-swap drive removal from drive tray
After removing the hot-swap drive:
If you are instructed to return the defective component, please package the part to prevent any shipping damage. Reuse the packaging the new part arrived in and follow all packaging instructions.