Remove a simple-swap drive
Use this information to remove a simple-swap drive.
Before removing a simple-swap drive:
- Ensure that you have back up data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array.
Before you make changes to drives, drive backplanes, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on the drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
- Use the front door key to unlock the front door (available on some models), and then open the front door.
To remove a simple-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- Locate the simple-swap drive to be removed.
- Disconnect the SATA signal cable and the power cable from the rear of the simple-swap drive. See Front view.
- Use a screwdriver to turn the tray handle lock 1 to the unlocked position. The tray handle opens automatically.Figure 1. Opening the tray handle of the simple-swap drive
- Pull the handle and carefully slide the simple-swap drive out of the chassis. Figure 2. Simple-swap drive removal
After removing the simple-swap drive:
Install a new drive or drive filler into the vacant drive bay (see Install a simple-swap drive).NoteTo ensure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than two minutes without either a drive or a drive filler installed in each bay.
If you are instructed to return the defective component, please package the part to prevent any shipping damage. Reuse the packaging the new part arrived in and follow all packaging instructions.