Install a simple-swap drive (bay 1-3)
Follow this procedure to install a simple-swap drive.
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
To install a simple-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- Prepare the drive to be installed if necessary:NoteTo prevent from damaging the drive with static discharge, do not touch the circuit board on the bottom of the drive.Figure 1. Circuit board on the drive
- Slightly tear both sides of the retainer apart; then, fit the drive in the retainer.
- Align the four holes on the drive with the corresponding pins on the retainer, and lower the drive until it is secured in the retainer.Figure 2. Installing a 3.5-inch drive into the retainer
- Align the four screw holes on the retainer to those on the drive; then, secure the drive to the adapter with four screws.Figure 3. Installing a 2.5-inch drive into the retainer
- Install the drive assembly based on the drive number:
Bay 1 and 2Face the connectors up, and slide the drive assembly into the drive bay.Figure 4. Installing a drive assembly into bay 2
Bay 3Face the connectors down, and slide the drive assembly into the drive bay.Figure 5. Installing a drive assembly into bay 3
- Connect the signal and power cable to the system board. See Cable routing for drive bay 1-3 for details.