Remove the M.2 backplane assembly
Use this information to remove the M.2 backplane assembly.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the corresponding DWC tray that you are going to perform the task on.
Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.
Use extra force to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the tray from the enclosure. See Remove a DWC tray from the enclosure.
- Remove the tray cover. See Remove the tray cover.
- Remove the cross braces. See Remove the cross braces.
- Disconnect the cable from the system board.Figure 1. M.2 backplane assembly cable removal
- Remove the M.2 backplane assembly.
Figure 2. M.2 backplane assembly removal
- Remove the six screws.
- Remove the M.2 backplane assembly out from the node.
- Disconnect the cable from the M.2 backplane assembly.
- (Optional) If you are removing the water loop, remove the M.2 backplane cold plate.
Figure 3. Removing the M.2 backplane cold plate removal
- Unfasten the two screws.
- Remove the M.2 backplane cold plate from the processor cold plate.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.
If you need to disassemble the M.2 backplane assembly for recycle, follow the instructions below:
You can only disassemble the M.2 backplane assembly for recycle. Do not disassemble it for any other purposes.
Make sure the M.2 drive is removed from the M.2 backplane. To remove the M.2 drive, see .
Loosen the two screws.
Carefully lift the M.2 board out of the M.2 bracket.Figure 4. Disassembling M.2 backplane assembly
Recycle the unit in compliance with local regulations.