Install the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive
Use this information to install the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface. Note
The M.2 backplane module is shipped with a loose screw, but the screw is not necessarily used for the installation.
The M.2 backplane you want to install might be different from the following illustrations, but the installation method is the same.
- Adjust the retainer on the M.2 backplane to accommodate the particular size of the M.2 drive you wish to install. See Adjust the retainer on the M.2 backplane.
- Locate the M.2 drive slot on the M.2 backplane.Note
For some M.2 backplanes that support two identical M.2 drives, install the M.2 drive in slot 0 first.Figure 1. M.2 drive slot
- 1 Slot 0
- 2 Slot 1
- Install the M.2 backplane onto the chassis.Figure 2. M.2 backplane installation
- Align the notch of the M.2 backplane with the pin on the chassis, and then place down the M.2 backplane.
- Tighten the screw to secure the M.2 backplane.
- Install the M.2 drive on the M.2 backplane.Figure 3. M.2 drive installation
- Insert the M.2 drive at an angle of approximately 30 degrees into the connector.
- Rotate the M.2 drive down until the notch 1 catches on the lip of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer forward (toward the connector) to secure the M.2 drive into place.
- Connect the cables to the M.2 backplane and system board. See M.2 drive backplane.
- Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID. For more information, see: Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal page