Remove a riser card
Use this information to remove a riser card.
About this task
The riser assembly you want to remove might be different from the following illustrations, but the removal method is the same. The following takes the LP-FH riser assembly as an example.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If there is any PCIe adapter installed on the riser card, record the cable connections first. Then, disconnect all cables from the PCIe adapter.
- Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it out of the chassis.Figure 1. Riser assembly removal
- If necessary, remove the PCIe adapters that are installed on the riser card. See Remove a PCIe adapter.
- Remove the riser card from the bracket.Figure 2. Riser card removal
- Remove the two screws that secure the riser card to the bracket.
- Remove the riser card.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the old riser card, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.
Remove the rear wall bracket if you would like to install a non-LP-FH riser assembly.Figure 3. Rear wall bracket removal