Remove the top cover
Follow instructions in this section to remove the top cover.
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Operating the server with the top cover removed might damage server components. For proper cooling and airflow, install the top cover before you turn on the server.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new part to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new part out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Remove the top cover. AttentionHandle the top cover carefully. Dropping the top cover with the cover latch open might damage the cover latch.Figure 1. Top cover removal
- Use a screwdriver to turn the cover lock to the unlocked position as shown.
- Press the release button on the cover latch. The cover latch then gets released to some extent.
- Fully open the cover latch as shown.
- Slide the top cover to the rear until it is disengaged from the chassis. Then, lift the top cover off the chassis and place the top cover on a flat clean surface.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.