Remove the front 3.5-inch-drive backplane
Use this information to remove the front 3.5-inch-drive backplane.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
Depending on the specific type, your backplane might look different from the illustration in this topic.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the system fan cage for easier operation. See Remove a system fan.
- Remove all the installed drives and fillers (if any) from the drive bays. See Remove a hot-swap drive.
- Lift the release tabs and rotate the backplane backward slightly to release it from the two pins on the chassis.Figure 1. 3.5-inch-drive backplane removal
- Pull out the plungers and slightly slide the backplane to the side as shown.
- Rotate the backplane down to release it from the four hooks on the chassis. Then, carefully lift the backplane out of the chassis.
- Record the cable connections on the backplane and then disconnect all cables from the backplane. See 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (power) and 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (signal).
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the old backplane, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.