Remove an M.2 drive
Follow instructions in this section to remove the M.2 drive.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
If one or more NVMe solid-state drives are to be removed, it is recommended to disable them beforehand via the operating system.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the M.2 backplane. See Remove the M.2 backplane.
- Remove the M.2 drive.
- Press the retainer from the both sides.
- Slide the retainer away from the M.2 drive
- Rotate the rear end of M.2 drive to an angle.
- Remove the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane.Figure 1. Removing M.2 drive
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.