Remove a drive backplane carrier assembly
Follow instructions in this section to remove a drive backplane carrier assembly.
About this task
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
- Remove both PCIe riser cages or fillers, the chassis air baffle, and the PCIe expansion tray (see Remove a 4U PCIe riser cage, Remove the chassis air baffle, and Remove the 4U PCIe expansion tray).
- Remove the fan cage assembly (see Remove the fan cage assembly).
- Disengage all the drives or fillers from the two backplanes on the carrier to be removed (see Remove a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive), and disconnect the signal cables that are connected to the two backplanes.NoteFollowing are the backplanes that are installed to the same carrier. Make sure to disengage drives and disconnect cables from both backplanes before removing the carrier assembly.
- 1 4 Backplane 1 and 4
- 2 5 Backplane 2 and 5
- 3 6 Backplane 3 and 6
- Remove the drive backplane carrier assembly.Figure 1. Removing the drive backplane carrier assembly
- Pull the captive screw up to disengage the backplane carrier.
- Pivot the top of the backplane carrier away to remove it from the server.
- To remove the drive backplanes from the backplane carrier, remove the two screws that secure each of the backplane.Figure 2. Removing drive backplanes from the carrier
After this task is completed
- Install a replacement unit (see Install a drive backplane carrier assembly), or fill the corresponding drive bays with drive fillers.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.