Install a memory module
Follow instructions in this section to install a memory module.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Make sure to adopt one of the supported configurations listed in Memory module installation rules and orders.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. Refer to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices.
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they do not touch each other. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
- Locate the memory module slot on the system board.The following illustration shows the location of memory module slots on the system board.Figure 1. Memory module slots on the system board
- Open the retaining clips on each end of memory module slot.
Figure 2. Opening retaining clips
- Place the tip of the tool in the recess on the top of the retaining clip.
- Carefully rotate the retaining clip away from the memory module slot.Attention
To avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, handle the clips gently.
If necessary, you can use a pointed tool to open the retaining clips due to space constraints. Pencils are not recommended as a tool as they may not be strong enough.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the memory module to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, remove the memory module from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install the memory module.
Figure 3. Installing a memory moduleNoteIf there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, the memory module has not been correctly inserted. In this case, open the retaining clips, remove the memory module, and then reinsert it.
- Make sure that the retaining clips are in the fully open position.
- Align the memory module with the slot, and gently place the memory module on the slot with both hands.
- Firmly press both ends of the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.
After this task is completed
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.