Remove the fan (front and rear)
Follow this procedure to remove the front fan or rear fan.
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- (Removing the front fan only) Remove the front bezel, see Remove the front bezel.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Disconnect the fan cable from the system board.
- Remove the front fan or rear fan from the chassis.
- From the outside of the chassis, cut off the four rubber mounts that secure the fan to the chassis.
- Slide the fan away from the chassis; then, lift it out of the chassis.Figure 1. Removing the front fan or rear fan
Install a new front fan or rear fan, see Install the fan (front and rear).
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.