Remove a full-length GPU adapter
Use this information to remove a full-length GPU adapter.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
If foot stands are installed on the server, rotate them inwards and lay the server on its side for easier operation.
Depending on the specific type, your full-length GPU adapter might look different from the illustration in this topic.
Use any documentation that comes with the full-length GPU adapter and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this topic.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Locate the full-length GPU adapter you want to remove.
- Remove the full-length GPU adapter.Figure 1. Full-length GPU adapter removal
- Open the PCIe adapter retainer.
- Remove the screw that secures the full-length GPU adapter.
- Grasp the full-length GPU adapter by its edges and carefully pull it out of the PCIe slot.
- Disconnect the power cable from the full-length GPU adapter.
After you finish
Install another full-length GPU adapter if necessary. See Install a full-length GPU adapter. Otherwise, install a bracket to cover the vacancy and close the PCIe adapter retainer.
If you need to remove the full-length GPU adapter power cable out of the chassis.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.