Install a hot-swap power supply
Use this information to install a hot-swap power supply.
- S001DANGERdangerElectrical current from power, telephone, and communication cables is hazardous.
To avoid a shock hazard:
- Connect all power cords to a properly wired and grounded electrical outlet/source.
- Connect any equipment that will be attached to this product to properly wired outlets/sources.
- When possible, use one hand only to connect or disconnect signal cables.
- Never turn on any equipment when there is evidence of fire, water, or structural damage.
- The device might have more than one power cord, to remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Never remove the cover on a power supply or any part that has this label attached. Hazardous voltage, current, and energy levels are present inside any component that has this label attached. There are no serviceable parts inside these components. If you suspect a problem with one of these parts, contact a service technician.
Before you install a hot-swap power supply:
Make sure the devices you are installing are supported. For a list of supported optional devices for the solution, see Lenovo ServerProven website.
Do not install two power supply units with different wattages. Related information is available from the following:
Read the label on top cover for maximum wattage output of installed power supply units. Only replace the existing units with those with the same wattage as marked on the label.
Check the rear of the node to make sure there is no length difference between the two installed units. If there is visible difference in length, it means the two units come with different wattages, and one of them have to be replaced.
Complete the following steps to install a hot-swap power supply.
- A video of the installation and removal process is available at YouTube
- Slide the hot-swap power supply into the bay until the release latch clicks into place.ImportantDuring normal operation, each power-supply bay must contain either a power supply or power-supply filler panel for proper cooling.
- Connect one end of the power cord for the new power supply into the AC connector on the back of the power supply; then, connect the other end of the power cord into a properly grounded electrical outlet.NoteConnect the power cord to the power supply unit, and make sure it's properly connected to the power.
- If the node is turned off, turn on the node.
- Make sure that the ac power LED on the power supply is lit, indicating that the power supply is operating correctly. If the node is turned on, make sure that the dc power LED on the power supply is lit also.
After you install a hot-swap power supply, complete the following steps:
Reconnect the power cords and any cables that you removed.
Turn on all compute nodes.