Install a hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
About this task
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Remove the filler panel from the drive bay. Keep the filler panel in a safe place.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the drive to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove the drive from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To avoid damage to the drive connectors, make sure that the server top cover is in place and fully closed whenever you install or remove a simple-swap drive.
Make sure you save the data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
For proper system cooling, do not operate the server for more than 2 minutes without either a drive or a filler panel installed in each bay.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If the drive bay has a drive filler installed, remove it.
- Install the hot-swap drive.Figure 1. 2.5-inch hot-swap drive installationFigure 2. 3.5-inch hot-swap drive installation
- Make sure the drive handle is in the open position. Slide the drive into the drive bay, and push it until it stops.
- Rotate the drive handle inwards until it clicks and lock the drive in place.