Remove a PCIe adapter
Follow instructions in this section to remove a PCIe adapter.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
Depending on the specific type, your PCIe adapter might look different from the illustration in this section.
Use any documentation that comes with the PCIe adapter and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this section.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).
- Remove the processor and the heat sink if necessary (see Remove the processor).
- Lay the server on its side for easier operation.
- Locate the PCIe adapter to be removed. If necessary, disconnect all the cables from the PCIe adapter.
- Remove a PCIe adapter.
Figure 1. Removing a PCIe adapter
- Open the retaining clip as illustrated.
- Grasp the PCIe adapter by its edges, and carefully pull it out of the slot.
After this task is completed
Install another PCIe adapter if necessary (see Install a PCIe adapter). Otherwise, install a bracket to cover the slot.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.