Remove a PCIe adapter
Follow this procedure to remove a PCIe adapter.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
The PCIe adapter might look different from the illustration.
Make sure to read and follow the documentation that comes with the PCIe adapter.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Disconnect all PCIe adapter cables from the system board.
- Remove the PCIe adapter
- Rotate the PCIe adapter retainer clip to the open position.
- Press the retaining clip to release the PCIe adapter.
- Grasp the PCIe adapter by both edges, and gently lift it out from the PCIe slot.NoteThe PCIe adapter might be clamped by the slot tightly. In this case, gently and evenly shake the PCIe adapter until the clamping force from the connector is significantly reduced and the adapter becomes easily removable.Figure 1. Removing a PCIe adapter
- Install another PCIe adapter if necessary, see Install a PCIe adapter. Otherwise, install a bracket to cover the vacancy on the chassis, and close the retainer.Figure 2. Installing a PCIe adapter bracket
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.