Remove a memory module
Follow this procedure to remove a memory module
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Keep each memory module separated from one another. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Keep the gold memory module connector contacts from touching anything.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
About this task
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- If the optical drive cage is installed, remove it from the chassis, see Remove the optical drive cage.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Carefully open the retaining clips on both ends of the memory module slot; then, gently lift the memory module to remove it.Figure 1. Removing a memory module
Install a new memory module if necessary. See Install a memory module.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.