Install a drive cage assembly
Use this information to install a drive cage assembly.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Ensure the drives are installed correctly into the drive cage assembly. See Install a drive.
You may need the Gap Pad Kit to perform this task.
To identify the gap pad/putty pad location and orientation, see Gap pad/Putty pad identification and location.
Before replacing the gap pad/putty pad, gently clean the interface plate or the hardware surface with an alcohol cleaning pad.
Hold the gap pad/putty pad carefully to avoid deformation. Make sure no screw hole or opening is blocked by the gap pad/putty pad material.
The putty pad is unfit for use if the expiry date on its packaging has passed. Acquire a new putty pad for proper putty pad replacement procedure.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Remove the blank bezel fillers if they are installed.Figure 1. Blank bezel filler removal
- If the gap pad located on the reverse side of the drive cage is damaged or missing, replace it with a new one. Make sure to follow Gap pad/putty pad replacement guidelines.Figure 2. Gap pad location
- If the drive cage gap pad is damaged or missing, replace it with a new one. See the following for the gap pad location for each drive cage. Make sure to follow Gap pad/putty pad replacement guidelines.Figure 3. Replacing gap padFigure 4. Gap pad locations
- Install the drive cage assembly.
Figure 5. One 15 mm drive cage assembly installationFigure 6. One 7 mm drive cage assembly installationFigure 7. Two 7 mm drive cage assembly installation
- Install the drive assembly into the node.
- Secure the 3 screws.
- Connect the drive assembly cable to the system board and route the cable as the following illustration.Figure 8. Drive assembly cable routing
1 SATA 0-1 connector 2 NVMe 0-1 connector 3 Drive power 2 connector 4 SATA 2-3 connector 5 NVMe 2-3 connector 6 Drive power 1 connector
Install the cross braces. See Install the cross braces.
Install the tray cover. See Install the tray cover.
Install the tray into the enclosure. See Install a DWC tray in the enclosure.
- Connect all required external cables to the solution.NoteUse extra force to connect QSFP cables to the solution.
Check the power LED on each node to make sure it changes from fast blink to slow blink to indicate all nodes are ready to be powered on.