Install the rear drive assembly
Use this information to install the rear drive assembly.
About this task
The following illustrates how to install the 2.5-inch rear drive assembly. You can install the 7mm rear drive assembly in the same way.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the rear drive cage to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the rear drive cage out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Gently press and hold the tab on the rear drive cage as shown and remove the air baffle from the rear drive cage.Figure 1. Air baffle removal
- Align the rear backplane with the rear drive cage and lower it into the rear drive cage.Figure 2. Rear backplane installation
- Connect the cables to the backplane. See 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (power) and 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (signal).
- Install the air baffle into the rear drive cage as shown.Figure 3. Air baffle installation
- Align the pins on the rear drive cage with the corresponding hole and slot in the chassis. Then, lower the rear drive cage into the chassis until it is fully seated.Figure 4. Rear drive cage installation
- Connect the cables to the system board or expansion slots. See 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (power) and 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (signal).