Remove the hot-swap rear drive assembly
Use this information to remove the hot-swap rear drive assembly.
About this task
The following illustrates how to remove the 2.5-inch rear drive assembly. You can remove the 7mm rear drive assembly in the same way.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the drives or drive fillers installed in the hot-swap rear drive cage. See Remove a 2.5/3.5-inch hot-swap drive.
- Disconnect the hot-swap rear drive cage cables from the system board or the PCIe adapter.
- Press the release tab to release the connector.
- Disengage the connector from the cable socket.NoteFailing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board.Figure 1. Disconnecting cables
- Hold the two blue touch points and directly lift the hot-swap rear drive cage out of the chassis.Figure 2. Hot-swap rear drive cage removal
- If the rear backplane is reused, remove the rear backplane. See Remove the 2.5-inch rear drive backplane.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the old hot-swap rear drive cage, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.