Install a memory module
Follow instructions in this section to install a memory module.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding systems.
Make sure to adopt one of the supported configurations listed in Memory module installation rules and order.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. Refer to the standard guidelines at Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they do not touch each other. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
Go to Drivers and Software download website for ThinkSystem SR630 V3 to see the latest firmware and driver updates for your server.
Go to Update the firmware for more information on firmware updating tools.
- Power off the server and disconnect all power cords.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the memory module to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the memory module out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Locate the required memory module slot on the processor board.Note
Ensure that you observe the installation rules and sequence in Memory module installation rules and order.
- Install the memory module into the slot.Figure 1. Memory module installationAttention
Before you install a memory module into the slot, make sure that the clips are on open position, and the slot is clear of any debris.
To avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, open and close the clips gently.
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.
- Identify the key on the memory module and then align the key to the slot, and gently place the memory module into the slot with both hands.
- Press both ends of the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.NoteIf there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, the memory module has not been correctly inserted. In this case, open the retaining clips, remove the memory module, and then reinsert it.
After you finish
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.