Remove a GPU adapter
Use this information to remove a GPU adapter.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Depending on the specific type, your GPU adapter might look different from the illustration in this topic.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- For easier operation, remove the adjacent riser assembly if needed. See Remove a rear riser assembly.
- Remove the riser assembly that has the GPU adapter installed.
GPU adapter on riser 1 or 2 assemblyNoteThe following uses riser 1 assembly as an example for illustration. The replacement procedure is the same for riser 2 assembly.Figure 1. Removing the riser assembly
Open the blue latch on the GPU air baffle.
Loosen the screw that secures the riser assembly.
Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it straight up and off the chassis.
GPU adapter on riser 3 assembly
Open the blue latch on the GPU air baffle, slightly lift the riser assembly up, and remove the air baffle.
Disconnect the GPU power cable and riser 3 cables from the system board assembly.Note
Figure 2. Disconnecting cables from the system board assembly
If you need to disconnect cables from the system board assembly, disengage all latches or release tabs on cable connectors first. Failing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board assembly. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board assembly.
The connectors on your system board assembly might look different from those in the illustration, but the removal procedure is the same.
Press the release tab to release the connector.
Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it straight up and off the chassis. See Remove a rear riser assembly.
- If the GPU adapter is on riser 1 or 2 assembly, disconnect the power cable from the riser card.
- Remove the GPU adapter from the riser bracket.NoteThe following uses riser 1 or 2 assembly as an example for illustration. The procedure is the same for riser 3 assembly.Figure 3. Removing the GPU adapter
- Rotate the GPU adapter retention latch to the open position.
- Grasp the GPU adapter by its edges and carefully pull it out of the PCIe slot.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.