Remove a power supply unit
Use this information to remove a power supply unit.
About this task
The following describes the information that you must consider when removing a power supply:
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If a cable management arm (CMA) is installed, adjust the CMA to gain access to the power supply bay.
NoteYour CMA kit might look different from the illustration.Figure 1. CMA adjustment
- Press down the stop bracket 1 and rotate it to the open position.
- Rotate the CMA out of the way to gain access to the power supply.
- Disconnect the power cord from the hot-swap power supply and the electrical outlet.
NoteIf you are replacing two power supplies, replace them one by one to ensure that the power supply to the server is not interrupted. Do not disconnect the power cord from the secondly replaced power supply until the power output LED for the firstly replaced power supply is lit. For the location of the power output LED, refer to
For AC power input, disconnect both ends of the power cord and keep it in an ESD-safe place.
For –48V DC power input:
Disconnect the power cords from the electrical outlet.
Use a slotted screwdriver to loosen the captive screws on the power supply terminal block.
Disconnect the power cords from the power supply unit, make the wire terminal insulated, and keep them in an ESD-safe place.
Power supply LEDs.
- Press the release tab toward the handle and carefully pull the handle at the same time to slide the hot-swap power supply out of the chassis.NoteIf your CMA kit obstructs in the way, slightly pull the power supply upwards when sliding the power supply out of the chassis.Figure 2. Hot-swap power supply removal
After you finish
Install a new power supply or install the power-supply filler to cover the power supply bay. See Install a power supply unit.ImportantTo ensure proper cooling during normal server operation, both of the power supply bays must be occupied. This means that each bay must have a power supply installed; or one has a power supply installed and the other has a power supply filler installed.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.