Before installing components in your server, read the installation guidelines.
- Read the safety information and guidelines to ensure your safety at work:
A complete list of safety information for all products is available at:
The following guidelines are available as well: Working inside the server with the power on and Handling static-sensitive devices.
Make sure the components you are installing are supported by your server.
For a list of supported optional components for the server, see Lenovo ServerProven website.
For the option package contents, see ThinkSystem server options.
- For more information about ordering parts:
Go to Lenovo Data Center Support and navigate to the support page for your server.
Enter the serial number to view a listing of parts for your server.
- When you install a new server, download and apply the latest firmware. This will help ensure that any known issues are addressed, and that your server is ready to work with optimal performance. Go to Drivers and Software download website for ThinkSystem SR655 V3 to download firmware updates for your server.ImportantSome cluster solutions require specific code levels or coordinated code updates. If the component is part of a cluster solution, verify the latest Best Recipe code level menu for cluster supported firmware and driver before you update the code.
If you replace a part, such as an adapter, that contains firmware, you might also need to update the firmware for that part. For more information about updating firmware, see Update the firmware.
It is good practice to make sure that the server is working correctly before you install an optional component.
Keep the working area clean, and place removed components on a flat and smooth surface that does not shake or tilt.
- Do not attempt to lift an object that might be too heavy for you. If you have to lift a heavy object, read the following precautions carefully:
- Make sure that you can stand steadily without slipping.
- Distribute the weight of the object equally between your feet.
- Use a slow lifting force. Never move suddenly or twist when you lift a heavy object.
- To avoid straining the muscles in your back, lift by standing or by pushing up with your leg muscles.
Back up all important data before you make changes related to the disk drives.
Have a small flat-blade screwdriver, a small Phillips screwdriver, a T8 screwdriver and a T20 torx screwdriver available.
To view the error LEDs on the system board (system board assembly) and internal components, leave the power on.
You do not have to turn off the server to remove or install hot-swap power supplies, hot swap fans, or hot-plug USB devices. However, you must turn off the server before you perform any steps that involve removing or installing adapter cables, and you must disconnect the power source from the server before you perform any steps that involve removing or installing a riser card.
When replacing power supply units or fans, make sure to refer to redundancy rules for these components.
Blue on a component indicates touch points, where you can grip to remove a component from or install it in the server, open or close a latch, and so on.
Terra-cotta on a component or a terra-cotta label on or near a component indicates that the component can be hot-swapped if the server and operating system support hot-swap capability, which means that you can remove or install the component while the server is still running. (Terra-cotta can also indicate touch points on hot-swap components.) See the instructions for removing or installing a specific hot-swap component for any additional procedures that you might have to perform before you remove or install the component.
- The Red strip on the drives, adjacent to the release latch, indicates that the drive can be hot-swapped if the server and operating system support hot-swap capability. This means that you can remove or install the drive while the server is still running.NoteSee the system specific instructions for removing or installing a hot-swap drive for any additional procedures that you might need to perform before you remove or install the drive.
After finishing working on the server, make sure you reinstall all safety shields, guards, labels, and ground wires.