Remove the retimer assembly
Follow instructions in this section to remove the retimer assembly.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the 2.5-inch drive cage assembly. See Remove the 2.5-inch drive cage assembly.
- Remove the network adapters. See Remove a network adapter.
- Remove the front I/O expansion board module. See Remove the front I/O expansion board module.
- Remove the fan cage. See Remove the fan cage.
- Remove the cross bar.
- Unfasten the four screws that secures the cross bar to the chassis.
- Lift the cross bar out of the chassis.Figure 1. Removing the cross bar
- Disengage the SXM GPU board from the retimer assembly.
- Disconnect the four cold plate assembly pump cables from the retimer assembly.
- Pull the SXM GPU board latch outward until it stops to disconnect it from the retimer assembly.Figure 2. Disengaging the SXM GPU board from the retimer assembly
- Disconnect the retimer cables from system board.
- Disconnect the eight retimer signal cables from the system board, and remove them from the cable clips.
- Disconnect the retimer power cable from the system board, and remove it from the cable clips.Figure 3. Disconnecting the retimer cables
- Rotate down the SXM GPU board handle and clips so that they are away from the retimer assembly.Figure 4. Closing the GPU-L2A assembly clips and handle
- Slide up the retimer assembly and remove it out of the chassis.AttentionKeep the
SXM GPU board clips and handle away from the retimer assembly to prevent damages to the retimer assembly.Figure 5. Removing the retimer assembly
Install a replacement unit. See Install the retimer assembly.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.
If you plan to recycle the component, see Disassemble the retimer assembly for recycle.