Remove the rear system fan
Follow instructions in this section to remove the rear system fan.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
- S009CAUTIONTo avoid personal injury, disconnect the fan cables before removing the fan from the device.
- S017CAUTIONHazardous moving fan blades nearby. Keep fingers and other body parts away.
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
- Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).
- Disconnect the fan cable from the system board (see System-board components).
- Remove the rear system fan from the chassis.
Figure 1. Removing the rear system fan
- Press the two tabs of the rear system fan towards each other.
- Carefully slide the fan out of the chassis.
After this task is completed
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.