Remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch drive cage
Use this information to remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch drive drive cage.
Before removing the drive cage:
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).
To remove the drive cage, complete the following steps:
- Remove the front door (see Remove the front door).
- Remove the front bezel (see Remove the front bezel).Figure 1. Drive cage removal
- Remove any drives or drive bay fillers and set them aside on a static-protective surface (see Remove a hot-swap drive or Remove a simple-swap drive).
- Remove the system fan. See Remove the front system fan.
- Disconnect the cables from the backplane or backplate.
- Press and hold the drive cage release latch; then, carefully pull the drive cage out of the opening in the chassis.
- Remove the backplane or backplate (see Remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch hot-swap drive backplane or Remove the 3.5-inch simple-swap drive backplate).
After removing the drive cage:
If you are instructed to return the defective component, please package the part to prevent any shipping damage. Reuse the packaging the new part arrived in and follow all packaging instructions.