Remove the drive cage (bay 3)
Follow this procedure to remove a simple-swap drive cage from bay 3.
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- If applicable, remove the optical drive, see Remove an optical drive.
- Remove the optical drive cage, see Remove the optical drive cage.
- If applicable, remove the 3.5-inch drive from the 3.5-inch drive cage, see Remove a simple-swap drive (bay 3).
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Remove the 3.5-inch drive cage from the optical drive cage.
- Remove the screw that secures the 3.5-inch drive cage to the optical drive cage. Reserve the screw to be used for reinstalling the 3.5-inch drive cage..
- Slide the optical drive cage to separate it from the 3.5-inch drive cage.Figure 1. Removing the 3.5-inch drive cage from the optical drive cage
Install a new 3.5-inch drive cage, see Install the drive cage (bay 3).
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.