Remove an optical drive
Follow this procedure to remove an optical drive.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Remove the optical drive from the optical drive cage.
- Press the latch on the optical drive to release it from the optical drive cage.
- Slide out the optical drive from the chassis.Figure 1. Removing the optical drive
- (Optional) Remove the optical drive retainer.
- Pull out the retainer to disengage it from the optical drive.
- Slide the retainer downward, and remove it from the optical drive.Figure 2. Removing optical drive retainer
- (Optional) Pull the optical drive bezel away to remove it from the optical drive.Figure 3. Removing the optical drive bezel
Install a new optical drive, see Install an optical drive
- If no optical drive is to be installed, install the optical drive bay shield back to front bezel.
Engage the bottom of the shield to the opening on the front bezel.
Pivot the shield towards the front bezel until it snaps into place.Figure 4. Installing the optical drive bay shield
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.