Remove the power supply unit
Follow this procedure to remove the power supply unit.
To avoid a shock hazard:
- Connect all power cords to a properly wired and grounded electrical outlet/source.
- Connect any equipment that will be attached to this product to properly wired outlets/sources.
- When possible, use one hand only to connect or disconnect signal cables.
- Never turn on any equipment when there is evidence of fire, water, or structural damage.
- The device might have more than one power cord, to remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Never remove the cover on a power supply or any part that has this label attached. Hazardous voltage, current, and energy levels are present inside any component that has this label attached. There are no serviceable parts inside these components. If you suspect a problem with one of these parts, contact a service technician.
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- Remove bay 1 drive cage and bay 2 drive cage (if applicable), see Simple-swap drive and drive cage (bay 1-2) replacement.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Disconnect the power supply unit cable from the system board.
- From the outside of the chassis, remove the four screws that secure the power supply unit to the chassis.Figure 1. Removing the screws securing power supply units to chassis
- Remove the power supply unit from the chassis.
- Press the release tab to disengage the power supply from the chassis.
- Slide out the power supply unit; then, lift it out of the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the power supply unit
Install another power supply unit, see Install the power supply unit.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.