Remove the M.2 drive retainer
Follow this procedure to remove the M.2 drive retainer.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- If a 2.5-inch drive is installed in drive bay 2, remove it from the chassis, see Remove a simple-swap drive (bay 1-2).
- Remove the M.2 drive, see Remove an M.2 drive.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Locate the M.2 drive retainer.Figure 1. M.2 drive retainer location
1 M.2 drive retainer
- Remove the M.2 drive retainer.
- Press the tab on the retainer and slightly push the nub upward.
- Slide the retainer forward and lift it out of the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the M.2 drive retainer
Install a new M.2 drive retainer, see Install the M.2 drive retainer.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.