Install a hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
The following notes describe the type of drives that your server supports and other information that you must consider when you install a drive.
- Depending on your server models, your server supports the following drive types:
For a complete list of supported optional devices for the server, see:Lenovo ServerProven website
The drive bays are numbered to indicate the installation order (starting from number “0”). Follow the installation order when you install a drive. See Front view.
- You can mix drives of different types, different sizes, and different capacities in one system, but not in one RAID array. The following order is recommended when installing the drives:
Drive type priority: NVMe SSD, SAS SSD, SATA SSD, SAS HDD, SATA HDD
Drive size priority: 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch
Drive capacity priority: the lowest capacity first
The drives in a single RAID array must be the same type, same size, and same capacity.
- If the drive bay has a drive filler installed, remove it. Keep the drive filler in a safe place for future use.Figure 1. Drive filler removal
Touch the static-protective package that contains the new hot-swap drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new hot-swap drive out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install a hot-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube
- Slide the release latch to open the tray handle. Then, slide the drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Close the tray handle to lock the drive in place.