Install the CMOS battery
Follow instructions in this section to install the CMOS battery.
About this task
- Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium CMOS battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you replace the CMOS battery, you must adhere to local ordinances or regulations for battery disposal.
- If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
To order replacement batteries, call your support center or business partner. For Lenovo support telephone numbers, see DCG Support Phone List for your region support details.
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new part to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new part out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install the CMOS battery.NoteBefore you install the battery into the socket, make sure that the positive side faces upward.Figure 1. Installing the CMOS battery
- Tilt the battery and insert it to the positive end on the socket. Make sure that the battery goes tight to the metal clip.
- Press the battery down until it clicks into the socket.
After you finish
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Use the Setup utility to set the date, time, and any passwords.