Remove a serial port module
Follow instructions in this section to remove a serial port module.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Disconnect the cable of the serial port module from the system I/O board.Note
Figure 1. Disconnecting the cable from the system I/O board
If you need to disconnect cables from the system board assembly, disengage all latches or release tabs on cable connectors first. Failing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board assembly. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the processor board or system I/O board.
The connectors on your system board assembly might look different from those in the illustration, but the removal procedure is the same.
Press the release tab to release the connector.
Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
- Remove the riser bracket from the server.Figure 2. Removing the riser bracket
- Remove the serial port module out of the riser bracket.Figure 3. Removing the serial port module
- Press down the bracket latch.
- Open the latch.
- Slide the serial port module out of the riser bracket.
- (Optional) If you need to replace the serial port bracket, use a 5 mm wrench to disassemble the serial port cable from the bracket.Figure 4. Disassembling the serial port module
After you finish
Install a new serial port module, a PCIe adapter, or a filler to cover the place. See Install a serial port module or Install a riser assembly.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.